The Canadian Centre for Professional Legal Education (CPLED) is a non–profit organization that offers the Bar admission program in Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia. To be called to the Bar, students must article and complete CPLED’s Bar admission program, Practice Readiness Education Program (PREP).
CPLED is dedicated to helping students hone their practical skills and assesses how well they are able to apply their legal knowledge and skills in everyday situations. This helps ensure new lawyers are well-equipped to meet the demands of the workplace. CPLED maintains a high standard of programs and services for students to ensure a strong transition into the legal profession.
The Education Counsel, Training and Evaluation is a key member of the Education team and is responsible for the recruitment, training, and retention of simulated clients and other external contractors as well as the creation and implementation of an external contractor monitoring, assessment and evaluation program.
Success in this position requires creative thinking, planning and problem-solving skills, strong research, analysis and evaluation skills, and well-developed communication and conflict management skills.
- Manage simulated clients and external contractors (Assessors, Practice Managers, Facilitators) as well as create and maintain partnerships with the legal profession. This includes recruitment, retention, and evaluation in partnership with the Programs Department.
- Work with Education Counsel, Instructional Design to revise and develop training content for simulated clients and external contractors.
- Develop performance metrics and report on the effectiveness of simulated clients and external contractors.
- Conduct assessments of simulated clients and external contractors to ensure compliance with PREP and CPLED standards.
- Report to the Manager, Education any events, occurrences, sources, and trends that may affect the quality of assessment.
- Facilitate and provide instruction about the delivery of PREP and online training to Assessors, Facilitators, Practice Managers, and Simulated
- Work with the Programs Coordinator and Programs Team as a point of contact for all simulated clients and external contractors.
- Advise potential and existing simulated clients and external contractors on CPLED policy and procedures to ensure compliance
- Contribute to process, systems, website and recruitment, content policies and procedures.
- Act as a backup to the Education Counsel, Instructional Design during peak periods.
- Other duties as required.
- Post-secondary education and law degree required with 5+ years of progressively more responsible post-call experience.
- Ability to connect quickly and easily with new people, and understand the art of leading by influence.
- Practice experience in the areas of family law, criminal law, and business law, an asset.
- A certificate in Adult Education, Workplace training, or equivalent work experience (or agreement to take a certificate program), is an asset.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills with the ability to promote a common cause, value tact, and diplomacy, and comfortably work through conflict.
- Project management and full-cycle recruitment experience is an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Technically strong computer skills, such as Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, SharePoint).
- Prior experience with D2L and creating assessments is considered an asset.
- Collaboration skills, with an ability to work with all individuals and groups.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines under pressure.
- The head office is in Calgary and travel may be required if the successful candidate resides in a different city.
CPLED values diversity in its workforce and equal access to opportunity. All inquiries and applications will be handled with the highest level of confidentiality.
CPLED is partnering with the Law Society of Alberta on this search. Interested applicants should apply here.